Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Silva rejects Man City exit talk

Spain international star David Silva has rubbished rumours he is homesick and has struggled to settle into life at Manchester City.
Reports surfaced over the weekend claiming the 25-year-old playmaker was considering a return to his homeland following his move from Valencia last summer.
But, speaking at a promotional event in his role as a tourism ambassador for his native Gran Canaria, Silva insisted the quotes were not his.
The World Cup winner joined City on a four-year deal and insists he is happy in England.
"I was as surprised, as anyone else here, to have read those reports," he said.
"I do the odd interview with Spanish press but I have never come out with these quotes that may or may not have been attributed to me.
"My initial reaction was surprise, but as I have said before, I am happy to be here and I find myself very much at ease with life here.
"The thing about a big city like Manchester is that people respect your space. They leave you to get on with your life.
"In Spain, people can get on your back and maybe live the game more. Here it's nice to go out and chill in the city."
Silva had to wait until September before establishing himself in City's starting line-up but has since shone playing behind top scorer Carlos Tevez.
And while he admits it was difficult to adjust to his new surroundings early on, he feels his recent form is a fairer reflection of what he can offer.
"The help of my team-mates and all the people at the club has helped my settling-in period go so smoothly," he added.
"It was difficult to begin with, but I was not quite 100 per cent fit because I missed part of pre-season due to my late arrival from the World Cup.
"There were also a couple of international friendlies that involved long journeys which interrupted me getting into shape. I didn't have the time then, but since then I think the form has started to come through for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment